26 September, 2012

Generation 5: Part 5. You make me feel like dancing


Apparently, four teenagers in the house were a little too much. Every now and then one of us freaked out and started randomly insulting somebody else. Well, to be honest with you, usually it was Ivy. Ever since Grace left, there was nobody she could really fight with, which seemed to be a big part of her personality. Things weren’t going that great with this Eric guy, some of our teachers didn’t accept the way she dressed and she still hadn’t found a hobby that could distract her from her troubles. Naturally she had to take this out on someone or something. And since she was always compared to her great, successful, responsible, respectful twin sister, Bella regularly was in for a fight. Those two really were as different as two people could possibly be. 


I was really worried about Ivy sometimes. I already told you that she had some issues in school and in her love life (which was nonexistent, as far as I knew), but her behavior got more and more irresponsible. Somebody had to tell her that and since I seemed to be the only one realizing where she was heading, I chose myself for this task. Unfortunately she didn’t seem to understand that I was trying to help her, instead she thought that I wanted to patronize her. If I was confronted with one of my younger siblings telling me what (not) to do, I would probably freak out, too. Still she shouldn’t have slapped me in the face. That wasn’t very nice and hurt like hell. And when she told me that I didn’t know anything about the real world and that my mind was as empty as a white sheet of paper, I ran off to my room. Where was the Ivy that protected us all and who cared about our family? 


Sometimes I thought about the time when I still was a child. Life was so much easier then, although Grace had still been there at that time. When something went wrong, I often went to my room, looked at my favourite chair and waited till its face made me laugh. Then the worst part was over. Somehow its magic disappeared with the years – when I looked at it now, I could only see a drooling mouth and ridiculously black eyes, staring straight ahead. Was this what growing up felt like? Then I didn’t want it to continue. Feeling serious all the time was something I didn’t approve of. 


Apparently, this was a feeling known to my siblings, too. One day when I went to clean the bathtub, I met Bella who just wanted to wash her hands. When she opened the water tap, a giant water fountain came shooting straight at her. So fun to look at! I guess Ivy was the one who had prepared this little trap, as she coincidentally walked in the bathroom the second we were there, too. I couldn’t help but giggle when I looked at her smiling face and as soon as we had left the bathroom, we burst out into laughing. Maybe the old Ivy was coming back now? 


At least she tried to get her life back. Whenever she could, she invited Eric over to hang out at our place. And you could see that she had a thing for him. The way she smiled at him when he was talking, regardless of what he was actually saying, and the look on her face when he turned away for a second and she felt unobserved. 


She even wrote him a song about how he made her feel like a natural woman. When she played it to us later, I couldn’t help but think that I had already heard this somewhere. And by the way, wasn’t this a little lame? I was lost until I found you, blah. If I ever wrote or dedicated a song to a boy, it would be so much more fun. Something like “You make me feel like dancing”. Life was colorful and moving so fast. No time for talking like you were living in the 1950s. 


Apparently he thought the same way. When she tried to pull him into a close hug, he pushed her away and told her he wasn’t really interested in her that way. She was devastated and immediately rushed back home, where she found me sitting on the couch, watching TV. As soon as I saw her face, I turned off the TV and hugged her for a long time, before she was able to speak. And although I kind of admired him for his honesty, I kept telling her that he was a jerk. That was the right thing to do, wasn’t it? 



My mom didn’t think that way. She had always liked Eric and was sure that this was just a phase those two were going through. By telling Ivy to forget about Eric, I apparently was pulling her away from him, despite their wish to be together. If you ask me, that was nonsense. But nevertheless my mom kept blaming me. Life really wasn’t fair when you were a grown up or a teenager. But hey, after every rain there is sunshine. 


Author's Notes: We're still around...! :) I have played quite a lot ahead, so now I really have to catch up. In my game Julia has just aged into an adult, which means something like ten chapters to come,considering the enormous amount of pictures I have taken. For now a little chapter showing how life in our legacy house continues after Grace moved out. It instantly got a little more boring, but since Ivy decided to act according to her traits, it didn't stay that way.
Make sure to check out the two songs I linked above, if you missed them before. ;)
Hopefully I will get some chapters out the next weeks - the next two weeks, starting next Monday, there is no school here, so I don't have to work (which is really fun, by the way). I planned to write at least two of my term papers during those weeks, because after that university starts again. My new class schedule is way fuller than the old one and considering that I still will work in 5th/6th grade two afternoons a week AND want to try some new stuff as well, there won't be much time to post. But I'll try and keep you posted. Literally. :)
(Chapter title: Obviously a great song by Leo Sayer, even if it's pretty old. I tried to find the choir version I know, but the videos online are pretty crappy. Anyway, believe me when I say that this song is even more amazing in that choir version a friend's husband made, who is a known arranger here.)

9 Kommentare:

  1. Sorry to see that things are going well between Julia and her mom! I guess it's not surprising that Ivy is acting out, but I'm sorry she was rejected by her crush!

    Glad to see you posting. I know about being busy. Sadly, I'm not posting not because of being busy but because of an endless string of technical problems. I've been just about ready to give up trying to play the game. I have kept working on it because I don't want to lose you guys!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh no, that sucks! Hopefully there is SOME way to figure out your issues - you can't just let your family go...!! Not only because we want to know what is happening, but also because you put so much energy and effort in this. That shouldn't be wasted because of problems like those... :( If I was able to, I would try and help you, but since you know so much more about computers than I do, there would be not much I could tell you. ;)If it helps, we will stay put and wait if your next chapters take some time. Never give up! :) *hugs*

      Löschen
    2. It really has been frustrating and dreadful. I got everything working, played in the new town for a day, and then the next morning the game wouldn't load. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the new world or mods or anything. Something just got corrupted. Two complete reinstalls later, it will load, and this morning I figured out why I wasn't seeing any of my store items.

      I'm going to hope everything's OK now. We'll see. Of course, I have like 10 more posts from the pictures I have too. But it's been hard to write when everything's broken!

      This legacy writing club is so much fun. I don't want to give it up.

      Löschen
    3. Susan: I'm sorry you're still having so much trouble. I hope you have it all figured out now. And because I've been waiting and waiting to see the new world!

      Löschen
    4. But why would your game do that...not that you knew the answer to that. Technically I was asking your game. ;) I'm so glad it will load again now!And although there are many chapters to come,it will be great to get into writing again. Especially now that your game seems to be working again now. Fingers crossed for that!

      Löschen
  2. Teenage mood swings! I love that Ivy is having trouble now that Grace isn't around as an outlet for her.

    Poor Julia, getting blamed for things. She's right, being serious is no fun.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Mood swings are so much fun :D Unless all four deal with them at the same time, then it gets a little annoying. But since there are never more than two teenagers suffering from them at the same time, it's really fun to watch.

      And I agree with you -and her- that being serious and grownup sucks most of the time. ;)

      Löschen
  3. I know I'm extremely late in finding this blog, but I read a few of your posts and chapters and I must say I love it! I really like the fact that you're playing in Appaloosa Plains, just as my legacy is playing there too! If you're interested in my legacy, I'd love to have your feedback! http://themiddletonlegacy.wordpress.com/ Leave a comment? :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment! :) I already went over to your legacy and also left a comment there. *makes mental note to edit Blogroll in a minute*
      Appaloosa Plains is a nice town, although I think I might have lost its spirit somewhere on the way. It's my third generation there now and all the original townies are dead by now. Instead of this countrylike atmosphere (if that's even an expression) it has now turned into something usual,which is why I thought about replacing the families that now live there with new ones. Starting a new game with my legacy family (because the old one has a lot of lags) and populate it with new townies that are more likely to fit into the spirit of Appaloosa Plains.

      Löschen