16 Juli, 2012

Generation 4: Part 16. Family Portrait


As I said, the more we thought about it, the more we knew that on some level we had lost our oldest daughter. For so long she had been reliable and caring, but now that she was experiencing first love, all of that seemed to have disappeared. That had to be one of the worst things you could possibly feel. Often I found myself crying or at least with tears sprung to my eyes, and Cassie didn’t feel very different.


Apparently, Grace’s siblings weren’t so fond of her new self, either. Even Ivy, who always had seemed to love her the most, started playing tricks on her. Mean ones. This surely wasn’t funny anymore, but whenever I tried to talk to her about it, Ivy just said something like “Well, she deserved it, didn’t she?” and went away. She was probably right, although I can’t believe I was with her on that one.


Surprisingly the structure of our family changed quite a bit. Grace had been there for everyone, and everyone had gone to her first. Now that she was no longer available, the four children grew a lot closer. I know that things have changed ever since we moved into the new house, but this was another change. Maybe it was a way to cope with the new circumstances, but it seemed to be a really good one. They played together in the afternoon and helped each other out with their homework. Although they weren’t in the same class – Henner was two grades above the twins, and Julia was one below them – they formed a little study group that met in the living room four times a week. One of us made them cookies, which was the only way we were allowed to support them in. I was so proud of them! Unfortunately it made my decision harder when it came to the choice of the heir for the next generation! Cassie and I grew older every day, and I had already made my lifetime wish quite some time ago. Somebody new should take over, but who could it possibly be?


I spent a lot of time thinking about this, since it was a very serious matter and something that shouldn’t be decided too quickly. Grace was not an option for me, that was for sure. But what about the other ones?

Before I could make a final decision, something important was about to happen: Henner had finished elementary school a few days ago and was now about to grow up! Unbelievable how quickly time had passed. I very well remembered his first steps and the first word he ever said to me. And now there he was, holding a very good report with a recommendation for one of the best high schools in town. We couldn’t be more proud of our little boy.


To be honest with you, I lied before. When I saw what he had turned into, I held my breath. He was an amazing boy who definitely was about to win the girls’ hearts in no time! Hopefully he wouldn’t break any of them.


While I watched him that same night, sitting at the piano and playing some chords, I once again thought about the choice I was about to make. Was it wise to pass the torch on to another man in the house? Or should I choose one of the girls, hoping they would be successful in life? This was a hard decision and I knew I couldn’t make it alone.


Author's notes: Phew, Generation 4 is basically done! Finally I caught up with all the pictures I made and here we are now! For obvious reasons, Grace is no longer available as heir. She started behaving really mean and unreasonable, and as I found her trait combination boring anyway, she's out. Leaves me with four possible heirs: Henner, Bella, Ivy and Julia. Those four will be up for an heir vote, BUT! I want to you to know that I am very much interested in your opinion, but since I somehow have a favourite and some thoughts on my own, the heir might not necessarily be who you vote for. Nevertheless, please vote! :)
(By the way: I lovelovelove Henner as a teenager)

4 Kommentare:

  1. Teen Henner is adorable! I love that all of the kids, except Grace, are bonding so well.

    I can't wait for the heir vote... even if you do already have a favorite picked out!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. He is absolutely gorgeous, isn't he?! If I met him on the street and he was a couple of years older...................... :D

      Löschen
  2. What was Grace's trait combination? The only one I knew was Loner.

    Oh my gosh! Henner is so cute! You did a great job with the hair and glasses to make him distintive-looking too. Do give us a little introduction to each character and tell us the traits. Then I'll vote. I know the older kids much better than the younger ones.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I put Grace's traits on the heir vote as well,on the bottom, since she is not an option. Hopefully you manage to decide between those kids :)

      Löschen